Good and better Re: cool news... (was RE: alt text &...

On the one hand this is a smart piece of work, figuring out how to do
something that a lot of people want to do, in a way that works for the
vast majority of systems. Another good reason for using an Apache/PHP
setup (the IE of the server world...).

On the other hand, it seems to ignore some of the reasons for not using
images for text. People who are capable of dealing with content that
includes images, and therefore download them, may not be able to read your
particular font in the header. People with some vision might use the
white-on-black  setting offered as a standard display mode by any serious
operating system, with a font that suits them. Within these constraints
they are happy to try and look at an image, if it's more or less explained
and they are just getting an additional idea. With a heading turned into
an image, they're back to the old problem - control of contrast is dodgy
(in most cases it should work, because most designers are too smart to
make headings almost unreadable, but not all).

I am intrigued by how it works for people who download some images (the
way I work on my phone, and from time to time on my laptop) - to have the
alternative available unless they decide to try the image. Or vice versa.
I'll look over the code in more detail.

Yesterday I came across the first example I met of SVG used totally in the
wild on a completely commercial site (for ordering a taxi). It's a bit
over a year since I started coming across it in the wild in non-commercial
settings, where people are often prepared to experiment more - some with
crazy ideas, some with thinking about the standards and how to implement
them as they are designed.

Stylesheet switching is starting to offer the user a chance to get a site
the way they want it.smarter developments in the mobile world are doing
even more in that direction - after realising that a technically better
Web isn't as popular as one that includes what is on _THE_ web (the lesson
of the WAP/iMode work) people have mostly gone back to trying to make a
technically better version of the existing web. There is, of course, more
or less infinite material for debate on what is actually technically
better. And given that there are constraints in the real world, we also
get to discuss which trade-off is better.

I can see a motivation for trying to use images for text, whatever WCAG
says, and finding a workaround that solves the same problems is a
reasonable strategy. A lot of the people who have come up with very smart
solutions are seriously committed to standards, and are looking to make
the Web better - and in general they are the kind of people who do. Our
job, as accessibility people, is to mmake sure we know as much as possible
about why a checkpoint or a common practice exists, and whether a new
technique meets the same needs.

On the other hand, a massive number of these needs can be met by simple
things like CSS' Web Fonts (little used when they came out years ago,
available now in SVG so likely to get some slow growth). Authors, and more
seriously the tools that the vast majority of authors use, go on
supporting something like the easiest common denominator. That is, they
neither go for something that can work in every tool, only a selection of
them (there are grounds for making a selection...) nor something that
takes a very imaginative or architecturally clear view of a better future.

Like Todd Fahrner's Image Replacement technique, this is a piece of
careful thinking from someone applying real brainpower. I hope it stands
up better to the curiosities of the real world of accessibility better
than Todd's approach. But there are a couple of things that make me
nervous. One of those things is our tendency to accept very quickly
something that they can offer to designers, without testing it heavily
first. We don't yet have better alternatives (for all i believe that
well-implemented SVG is smarter, we simply don't have enough long-term
experience with it in this group to explain way, how to use it right, and
what to avoid). People have commercial imperatives, and quite sensibly
they are prepared to do something good rather than not putting anything
online until they can do it better. But that should make us redouble our
efforts to findd something better than what we offered first.

(One of the things I like about this group is that people are doing
precisely that :-)

avagoodweekend. And don't forget the Aerogard. (Don't worry, that last
sentence is an obscure and irrelevant reference to my childhood. Geoff
Deering might get it...)

cheers

Chaals

--