Re: Flash vs Traditional Screen shot tutorials

The RNIB looked at ways for people to try stuff out when they were
reviewing online banking (a few years ago now - I think around 2000). I
have seen some sites that, rather than provide either a screenshot or a
flash presentation actually provide a version of the interactive part in a
sandbox so you can't do anything permanent. This is rarer in software,
although in principle it should be easier. Essentially you offer a safety
mode, similar to the evaluation mode that some software offers where you
can only touch a handful of files.

I find screenshots difficult to wrap my head around - largely because the
explanations tend not to be quite as good as they should be. Same goes for
flash, as a rule, although I have seen flash simulations that actually let
you pretend to be doing the action and are therefore effective. Neither of
these tend to match what users actually run into in an accessibility
context, so they tend not to be that helpful unless very carefully done.

Flash is making progress - there are specific improvements between MX and
2004, but there are also still significant problems for both authors and
users. Whether you see a big fat donut, or a very large hole, depends on
what you are trying to achieve. Both are justified views, I think, from
certain reasonable and common perspectives.

Not sure how much that helps. Hopefully some...

cheers

Chaals

--
Charles McCathieNevile                                  charles@sidar.org