RE: RE : link in new window debate

> From: Lynn Stephens
[...]
> I suggest the prevalence of pop-up-stopper programs
> alone should stop developers from opening links into a
> new window.

Lynn,

two points. First of all, popup blockers only (to my knowledge
anyway...but I'd be happy to be corrected) block windows spawned
via javascript (and even there, some allow them if they're the
direct result of a user action, e.g. clicking on a link).
They do not block new windows that result
from target="_blank". In any case, even if you do want to use
the javascript method (more control over size/controls/etc of
the new window - not that I'm advocating this particular use), you
should provide a graceful degradation.
Something like

onclick="window.open(this.href); return false;"
target="_blank"
title="go to somewhere (external link)"
>go to somewhere</a>

could be a workable solution.