 From: Access Systems [mailto:accessys@smart.net]
 Sent: Tue 11/18/2003 8:38 AM
 To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
 Subject: Re: Using Frames - what problems do screen readers have?

 On Tue, 18 Nov 2003, Julian Voelcker wrote:

 > > and say what you like, frames do slow a
 > > page down as the server rushes about it's hard drive building the pages when
 > > requested to do so. And the more you add the longer the process gets.
 >
 > Initially they will be slow to load, but if well implemented once they are
 > loaded they are a lot quicker to use because you are only loading elements of
 > a page as opposed to the whole page, which is particularly attractive when
 > dealing with a very 'feature rich' environment like an on line application.

 but the real question is "does the frame and feature rich
 environment" actually add real usefulness to the site??? or are they just
 "eye candy"

 > > Most disabled people in the world that access the internet do not have Jaws,
 > > most disabled people in the world that access the internet do not have super
 > > fast state of the art computers.
 >
 > Fortunately we know that the disabled people who would be using the system
 > would be using screen reader software and hardware that is never likely to be
 > more than two years old.

 how do you know this??
 my computer is just updated with the latest P-IV and super fast etc etc
 etc, but won't work worth beans on frames,  why because I still like and
 use LYNX for surfing the web.   not to mention it runs the latest version
 of Linux and the screen reader software is EMACSPEAK

 REMEMBER NOT EVERYONE USES THE GARBAGE FROM REDMOND, and basing your site
 on M$ software is NOT accessible or usable and does not comply with W3C or
 508.

 Bob

 safety deserve Neither liberty nor safety",    Benjamin Franklin
     NO HTML/PDF/RTF in e-mail                   accessys@smartnospam.net