Re: 2 things at once

Jon,

Is there a way to follow 2 threads using HTML* without using a pop up?

It seems to me there is not, and this might be a problem. Many
interests involve activities that occur concurrently, cookery being one.
mash potato is normally made whilst the mince is being prepared. Cooks
flick between the two recipes.
Given that our resources are full page photos of each step, and run to
about 10-15 pages per recipe: the back button is not useful,

thanks

Jonathan

*I'd prefer not to have a pop up, please read the original email copied
below.
the shepherd's pie link does not use a pop up, but the dhtml
alternatives, seem complex.
We may need a techniques document just to explain them.

for example using image and text swapping to load the current position
for each thread into a single window.

On Tuesday, February 25, 2003, at 12:19 PM, Jon Hanna wrote:

>> By having a popup window, I can follow 2 threads at once.
>
> If you can (and *want*) to follow 2 threads at once you can opt to open
> another window (shift+click, shift+enter or selecting from a context
> menu
> being three ways of doing that that work on IE, NS and MOZ).
>
> If you can't or don't want to why should somebody force you to try?
>
> Ironically one of the problems with poorly written pop-ups (the ones
> that
> use javascript from the href, or without using the href as a
> non-javascript
> back-up) is that they break when someone actually does choose to open
> a new
> window!

By having a popup window, I can follow 2 threads at once.

Is there a suitable way to do this with HTML?
or would anyone care to suggest a means using DHTML?

do popups have a use?

as an example of 2 threads visit the nearly complete shepherds pie
recipe here: http://www.peepo.com/2k3/shepherds-pie/
one needs to make mince and mash at the same time, but interleaving
these two processes would not be helpful.

Jonathan