SV: Use first letter as ACCESSKEY

On 25. February 2003 09:32, Nick Kew wrote:

>"Use of first letter is one option, but could at worst be actively
>harmful if it clashes with someone's existing UA controls!"

Consider an international website: You can have scores of different browsers
and other user agents in scores of different languages visiting the website.
They all use more or less different access key letters, and the author of
the web page has no way of figuring out what letters are left for the web
page to use as access keys to the links.

We have to find a way to use the same access key letters to the user agents
and to the web page without conflicts.

The two different ways of pressing the ALT key (and a similar key in other
systems) is an option that is working today in more than 90% of the user
agents. It is not perfect, but it is working. A better solution could take
5-10 years or more before it is implemented in more than 90% of the user
agents, if we could ever agree on a better solution!

Best regards,
Jesper Tverskov