mod_accessibility (Re: Amazon Access)

On Tue, 25 Feb 2003, Isofarro wrote:

> I can certainly see mod_accessibility managing to deal with 80% of
> technically inaccessible sites out there (just an application of the 80-20
> rule), and it could go a significant way to making things a bit easier.

I think that may be a bit over-optimistic.  It cannot do anything about
information that isn't there, or is hidden away in Flash, PDF or (in
many cases) Javascript, nor can it add intelligent ALTs.  In a sense it's
at its best when a page is already well-structured: for example, the many
long pages at www.w3.org would certainly benefit from the outlining
capability.

> The drawback mod_accessibility faces is that it is totally dependant on the
> markup originating from the inaccessible website. Obviously that's what it
> has to do, but it is reliant on this source. So the common GIGO rule applies
> all to well. AIUI mod_accessibility runs the markup through a normaliser,
> and then performs a series of "simplifications" and "corrections".

Basically right, but it's a little more than that - it can fetch some
information from elsewhere.  But I'd regard its strongest point as
being the choice of views it offers.  A user who is struggling with
a page can switch view at a single click or (if I sort out some
accesskeys) keystroke.  In some cases, this might alleviate the GIGO
problem - though only experience will tell.

> I suppose its time for me to get off my lazy behind and give your solution a
> go. You certainly have a lot of faith in it, and considering the faith you
> have displayed in your other superb efforts, you haven't been wrong yet. :-)

Thank you:-)

--
Nick Kew