Re: talking about text alternatives Re: ALT as required attribute

"David Woolley" <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

> > Images as objects are badly specified though, since the UA cannot know
it's
> > an image until after it's performed an HTTP GET on the url, it can guess
it

> That's what the type parameter is for.

No, the type is indicitive, it's not definitive, the type parameter also
prevents content-negotiation on the best format of image to return, with
object a UA should surely send accept headers appropriate to all forms of
content it accepts, with image, it's reasonable to only send image/* types.

> > might be, but cannot know.
> >
> > Equally, what happens with an HTML document returned with a 404 status
code

> Because img isn't a first class link either, you lose the information
> with the 404.

Not necessarily, the 404 could have links to other locations for the
resource.

> > returned by the server, should the object fallback be used, or should
the
> > HTML document be used?  What about other status codes?  At least with
image,

> I would expect the fallback.

but that way you're throwing away the HTML document returned, and I don't
see how a UA can know what the author intended here.

Jim.