Re: ALT as required attribute

"Bill Mason" <w3c@accessibleinter.net> wrote in message
news:5.2.0.9.0.20030206231859.00cb2c08@accessibleinter.net...

> >do not deny me an accessible user agent.
>
> Be sure to show me where I told you I would not allow you to use your UA.

You told me my UA was not compliant to the specification, presumably we all
want UA's that are compliant to specifications, if my UA becomes compliant,
I lose the ability to access content.

What amazes me by your arguments is that you're saying I should not have
access to ALT in a usable manner, I do not understand why anyone would
suggest this.  My needs are very minor, but I'm still told here that my
needs are irrelevant, and I shouldn't get access the way I want, because the
"specs don't allow it".

Is that simply your argument?   because I do not believe the HTML 4.01 spec
anywhere says how content should be rendered.

> Your understanding
> of it may very well be.   I also find it improbable you're really all that
> worried about changing a spec you've referred to as not relevant multiple
> times.

Exactly, I don't believe it's relevant, it's a specification on how to mark
up a document, not  on how that document be rendered, if you would convince
me it's relevant, then I am very confident that it is wrong, since it
specifically excludes me having a compliant accessible User Agent.

Jim.