RE: Rockville, MD- Seeking low vision users for testing federal website

For what it's worth, the Canadian Federal Government offers the following
testing/verification steps for GoC web sites:

	* Use an automated accessibility tool and browser validation tool. Please
note that software tools do not address all accessibility issues, such as
the meaningfulness of link text, the applicability of a text equivalent,
etc.
	* Validate syntax (e.g., HTML, XML, etc.).
	* Validate style sheets (e.g., CSS).
	* Use a text-only browser or emulator.
	* Use multiple graphic browsers, with:
		- sounds and graphics loaded,
		- graphics not loaded,
		- sounds not loaded,
		- no mouse,
		- frames, scripts, style sheets, and applets not loaded.
	* Use several browsers, old and new.
	* Use a self-voicing browser, a screen reader, magnification software, a
small display, etc.
	* Use spell and grammar checkers. A person reading a page with a speech
synthesizer may not be able to decipher the synthesizer's best guess for a
word with a spelling error. Eliminating grammar problems increases
comprehension.
	* Review the document for clarity and simplicity. Readability statistics,
such as those generated by some word processors may be useful indicators of
clarity and simplicity. Better still, ask an experienced (human) editor to
review written content for clarity. Editors can also improve the usability
of documents by identifying potentially sensitive cultural issues that might
arise due to language or icon usage.
	* Invite people with disabilities to review documents. Expert and novice
users with disabilities will provide valuable feedback about accessibility
or usability problems and their severity.

(Source: http://www.cio-dpi.gc.ca/clf-upe/6/tools-outils2a_e.asp)

Interesting to note is that this list *is* vendor neutral.  While Bob's
points are certainly with merit, I would suggest that if the page "makes
sense" in the text only browser (as recommended above) that most if not all
screen reading technologies will be able to access the page content.

JF