Re: Rockville, MD- Seeking low vision users for testing federal website

On Tue, 17 Dec 2002, David Poehlman wrote:

why are you limiting yourself to Proprietary software, there are numerous
other screenreaders and adaptive software that runs on other operating
systems (and windows) that is used and well liked, such as "emacspeak"

  One of the major problems (as you know) is the myth that everything on
PC is from Redmond Washington

Bob

> Hello, my name is Abhijit Ghosh. I currently work at the National Cancer
> Institute in the Communication Technologies Branch. As part of the 508
> initiative, we are looking to test our website with low vision to no
> vision users using JAWS, Window-Eyes, and in the future Screen
> magnifying software.
>
> The  Communication Technologies Branch at the National Cancer Institute
> is helping lead an effort  to evaluate different federal web sites and
> make them usable and useful to users with disabilities of various kinds:
> vision,
> hearing, motor.  Recently we have started trying to assemble a panel of
> volunteers with low vision or no vision who would agree to be web site
> testers and join a database of volunteers we could call once or
> repeatedly to help us evaluate federal websites. Users will need to be
> in the Northern Virginia, D.C, Maryland area.
>
> We will pay every volunteer for 2 hours of testing time at our facility.
> We
> would pay $100 to each user in cash. In addition, we would cover for
> transportation cost.
>
> They would make a huge contribution to aiding multiple agencies who
> provide web information to users with disabilities.  For the low vision
> part of the
> project, we would like to have both expert and novice users of screen
> readers (Jaws and WindowEyes) as well as users who require magnification
> devices/techniques.
>
> Our group is responsible for the web site http:/www.usability.gov>
> which is a rich source of information presenting and advocating
> evidence-based principles regarding web design and usability.  We also
> do research on
> user-centered design in our a state-of-the-art usability testing and
> training facility near the White Flint Metro stop in Rockville,
> Maryland.
>
> Please ask any folks you think would want to volunteer to contact:
> Abhijit Ghosh
> ghoshab@mail.nih.gov
> phone 301 594-9080
> fax 301 435-6069
>
> We certainly would appreciate as wide a distribution of this message as
> possible.

    NO HTML/PDF/RTF in e-mail                   accessys@smartnospam.net
above. If you are not the intended recipient, Please notify the sender as
soon as possible. Please DO NOT READ, COPY, USE, or DISCLOSE this
communication to others and DELETE it from your computer systems.  Thanks