Re: Rockville, MD- Seeking low vision users for testing federal website

On Tue, 17 Dec 2002, David Poehlman wrote:

> Hello, my name is Abhijit Ghosh. I currently work at the National Cancer
> Institute in the Communication Technologies Branch. As part of the 508
> initiative, we are looking to test our website with low vision to no
> vision users using JAWS, Window-Eyes, and in the future Screen
> magnifying software.

As others have mentioned, this is not the right approach to testing
website accessibility.  At best it tests one narrowly-defined aspect
of accessibility; at worst it risks reinforcing any bad practices
you may have - such as authoring to browser behaviour at the expense
of presenting the website contents clearly.

Both JAWS and Window-Eyes deal with one particular disability.
Both are themselves inaccessible to many users, by virtue of cost
and the prerequisites required to install them.

--
Nick Kew