RE: Media - Suit Over Airlines' Web Sites Tests Bounds of ADA

On Tue, 8 Oct 2002, Phill Jenkins wrote:

> >... IF you code to W3C formats I could
> >pull out my (still working) Victor 9000, 8086 machine with Dos 2.1 and the
> >old 300 baud modem and read and use the site....(when I first logged on to
> >the net it was with a 16.5 baud modem, see I do believe some things are
> >obsolete)
>
> OK Bob, where do we draw the line?

good question, and I really don't know the answer...certainly straight
text users must be supported and Lynx is probably the most popular text
browser

> Can I use HTML 2.0, 3.2, 4.01, or XHTML?
> Can I use W3C's SMIL?
> Can I use W3C's CSS2?
> Can I use any W3C specification?
> Can I use any public standard? (i.e., gif, jpg,etc.)?

don't think I would go that far

> Can I use JavaScript? Why not, it's a public ECMA standard.

right but at the moment it is not a very usable standard for many machines

> Why do you insist that the "problem" or "burden" is with the authors and
> not the developers of Lynx that don't support all of the W3C and other
> public standards?  Again I argue that it would be more effective to fix
> Lynx than to fix the millions of applications already written.

nothing major wrong with Lynx, another updated version is in beta test
now, the last version was released less than a year ago. it is a mature
and supported browser.  but you want it to do what it was never designed
to do and most users of it don't want it to do. (although I believe some
javascript support will be incorporated)
  Lynx is a TEXT browser and that is what it is designed to be

> and why do *you* get to decide that "a 16.5 baud modem" is obsolete? or
> that a 300 baud isn't?

hmmm, maybe your right and that 16.5 baud modem is not obsolete, however
the reason I said it was obsolete is that it uses a language that is not
and has not been supported for many many years...it doesn't use the ASCII
code

> If I code to HTML 4 will your DOS 2.1 machine get it?

good question, if I were more energetic I would dig it out and try, the
major problem is that the modem is kaput and it won't drive my current
modems their too fast.

Bob
> [again my personal opinions]

yeah me too

    NO HTML/PDF/RTF in e-mail                   accessys@smartnospam.net
above. If you are not the intended recipient, Please notify the sender as
soon as possible. Please DO NOT READ, COPY, USE, or DISCLOSE this
communication to others and DELETE it from your computer systems.  Thanks