Re: unasked for downloads?

What an education in internationalization and its perils!

At 03:51 PM 2002-03-19 , Access Systems wrote:

>text/html;charset=646    D)ownload  or  C)ancel

So it was the indicated character encoding that got your Linux Lynx to treat the web page they sent you as a binary.

It's the "charset=646" part that failed to match anything that your Lynx thought it knew how to process and it fell back to download mode.  The number 646 is not one of the offficially recognized values for this parameter, but a bit of slang the simplest imaginable case) that the windows routines routinely wink at.  And Lynx just asks its screen routines "can you dig this?" and runs with whatever they say.

It's ironic that the file is most likely in US-ASCII, your favorite character encoding.  Had you downloaded it and opened the file from the file system I expect it would have worked fine, presuming the file system doesn't preserve the mis-labeling of the character encoding.

But you get "can't process" and I get "no problem" for the same cross-OS browser.

Al

Main reference, after much Googling:
 i18n/l10n: HTTP - charset
 http://www.w3.org/International/O-HTTP-charset