review of Web Eyes

----- Original Message -----
From: "Peter Verhoeven" <pav@OCE.NL>
To: <EASI@MAELSTROM.STJOHNS.EDU>
Sent: Friday, March 15, 2002 5:30 AM
Subject: Re: Web Eyes is released

Hi,

The message below is a reply to a message, that was posted on the
vicug-l
listing. I send this reply to some other lists and the president of ION
Systems, because I do not agree with what the ION Systems, who made Web
Eyes, is telling the world.

I tried the Web Eyes plugin on several pages and I do not hope
accessibility problems will be solved with this kind of software! This
kind
of software is not an alternative for making web sites accessible.  The
company suggests, that Web Eyes is an alternative cost effective
solution
to make web sites accessible.
With my screen reader Supernova using braille and magnification I can
access pages, that seems to be completely inaccessible in the Web Eyes
view?
Also on the suggested cnn.com I get an unregistered web site message and
prefer the normal cnn.com to read instead of the Web Eyes view, because
do not feel anything at all on my braille display.

It is not only, that Web Eyes does not work at all on a lot of web site,
also the concept is objectionable. All web sites in the world should pay
$500 or more to think they make their web sites accessible, thinking
they
have to do nothing more? Web Eyes does not make web sites more
accessible.
With a free program like WebFormator I get better access than Web Eyes.
Web
Eyes makes pages less accessible for people with a low vision. So my
advice
to all companies in the world is, do not purchase this product. You have
do much more to make you web site accessible!

Regards Peter Verhoeven
Internet : http://www.magnifiers.org (The Screen Magnifiers Homepage)

At 07:35 11-03-2002 -0500, you wrote:
>We have released Web Eyes (tm).  It is an IE browser plug in (722K)
that
>can take any web site - whether it
>is tagged for accessibility usage or not - and reflow it so that it can
>be read at any font size (4 points - 144 points) as well as by Jaws and
>Window Eyes!
>
>To try it out, go to http://www.ionwebeyes.com. You can use it on any
>domain for 10 minutes regardless of if the domain has purchased Web
Eyes