RE: give me a break!

Over the past few months, I've been dealing with the State of Connecticut,
building a web site for the Care 4 Kids program.  They have a policy which
states that sites must follow WCAG 1.0 Priority 1.  They have no idea what
this really means though.

And it seems to be very much the same throughout the U.S.  I've been to some
state web sites that sport the Bobby logo, yet I wouldn't consider them
accessible.

And you have to remember that in the U.S., only Federal Agencies have to
adhere to Section 508.  States do not.  However, web sites are required to
comply with the ADA (Hooks v. OKBridge, 2000), but this only means that
people with disabilities must have access to the same information, but not
necessarily in the same format.  As a result, if the State of Maryland could
get you the same information in a pamphlet, or in plain text, then they are
probably in the clear.  I'm not a lawyer, but I have read the decision, and
have taken a few legal classes here and there.

However, I personally agree with Charles and Bob that the State of Maryland
is missing the mark.

Randal