Re: GW Micro Helps Make Macromedia Flash Content Accessible to People Who Are Blind

narrator is not that powerful.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Access Systems" <accessys@smart.net>
To: "Charles McCathieNevile" <charles@w3.org>
Cc: "WAI (E-mail)" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Sent: Wednesday, March 06, 2002 10:06 AM
Subject: RE: GW Micro Helps Make Macromedia Flash Content Accessible to
People Who Are Blind

On Wed, 6 Mar 2002, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:

> ASCII text is not a solution that works. "ASCII art" - using text
characters
> and layout to represent graphic content - is an extremely poor choice
for
> making graphics that can be presented to users of braille, or people
using

wasn't suggesting that it be used for graphics, your right almost no way
person using a braille or text to speech reader could understand it.

that is where the alt tag is handy

> ASCII only covers the characters used in a handful of languages - it
is not
> sufficient to write French, German, Spanish, Italian, Vietnamese,
Japanese,
> Greek, Russian, Chinese, Urdu, Arabic, Thai, Mongolian, etc. (It is
possible
> to represent those language in ASCII, but very difficult to use and
there are
> no standards - french and english speakers have different ways of
writing the
> same arabic word, and english speakers have different ways of writing
chinese
> words - whereas there are at least widely used standards for including
the
> relevant characters in a useful way that are used in modern software).

I was pretty sure there was a text set for most languages, I have seen
the
Japanese version

> Text is not something that everyone can use. Ther are commmunities
whose

there is no one single method that everyone can use, but there is a
single
language that every computer can use and that is ASCII.

> There are a number of screen readers - I know of four for Windows, and
at
> least four free ones for Linux, and other products. Some of these
things cost
> money (by buying the Windows system itself, which is a couple of
hundred US
> dollars, or half the monthly housing cost for an average australian
> family, and perhaps less as part of a computer purchase, you get the
not very
> powerful Narrator software). Some peopel will produce free products,
some
> will sell their products, and some will be able to buy anything they
like,
> others will be constrained by their employer/school/available support.

right, but the screen readers have to have something to read no matter
what OS.

> At least we are moving forwards, although there is still along way to
go.

sometimes I really wonder???

Bob

> Just my 2c worth.
>
> chaals
>
> On Tue, 5 Mar 2002, Access Systems wrote:
>
>   HTML or ASCII Text is about as basic and standard as is possible to
get
>   and it takes almost nothing to provide.

    NO HTML/PDF/RTF in e-mail                   accessys@smartnospam.net
    NO MSWord docs in e-mail                    Access Systems,
engineers
*#*#*#
above. If you are not the intended recipient, Please notify the sender
as
soon as possible. Please DO NOT READ, COPY, USE, or DISCLOSE this
communication to others and DELETE it from your computer systems.
Thanks