Re: standard vs guideline

On Tue, 5 Mar 2002, Kynn Bartlett wrote:

within the engineering and other hard tech industries there are
"almost" standards that are referred to as "recommended practices"

Thtese are generally accepted as standards diviated from only for good
cause

Bob

> At 6:16 PM -0600 3/5/02, Phill Jenkins wrote:
> >Should W3C rename the WAI guidelines as standards?
>
> Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that since W3C isn't an
> official standards-making body, nothing can be legitimately called a
> "standard"; it's a reserved word. However, "specification" should be
> available for use.
>
> I agree that the term "guideline" is problematic, because it
> carries an implication of "suggestion" which is not really what we
> are trying to accomplish nor is it in line with the way the
> "guidelines" are written.  (If we are truly writing "guidelines"
> then WCAG 2.0 would look more like advice and less like
> requirements!)
>
> Anyway, I suspect this won't change, even if it really should.
>
> --Kynn

    NO HTML/PDF/RTF in e-mail                   accessys@smartnospam.net
above. If you are not the intended recipient, Please notify the sender as
soon as possible. Please DO NOT READ, COPY, USE, or DISCLOSE this
communication to others and DELETE it from your computer systems.  Thanks