RE: Two links (Image and Text) side by side - was Re: Another question about JAWS 4.01 rendering

Jim wrote:
>The simple solution is to include both the image and the text in the SAME
>anchor and then put alt="" on the image, because then indeed the image is
>completely redundant. That is a good solution.
>
>The problem is that that solution almost never works because the image and
>text are almost surely to be in separate table cells and the anchor can't
>span those.

One option for when the image and text can't be put into the same anchor is
to make one of them NOT a link.  However, some say that sighted people will
try to click on any image thinking that all images should be image links.
My rule of thumb would be to make the image a link if it is larger than the
text, and make the text the link if the image is smaller, looking more like
a bullet image next to the text.

Another option is to put white space in the image so that it is spaced
correctly away from the text so that table layout is not needed, thereby
removing the need for the separate table cells.

Regards,
Phill Jenkins