RE: Client Side vs. Server Side Image Maps

On Fri, 1 Feb 2002, Al Gilman wrote:

> Yes, it is important to recognize that this case exists, where the function is
> a genuine continuous-parameter function.  Map sites are a staple of web usage
> today.

And indeed for several years: my own 1995 work at ESA offering a
query interface to order satellite data remains unchanged today.
Manipulating geographic data was probably also the first application in
which we saw a range of sensible applications of JAVA on the client side.

> There is a collection of techniques that could relate here.
>
> 1. The notion that the (0.0) coordinate value in a map request should be
> treated as potentially a request for a pointerless access mode.

I have to disagree with this.  Even if we can rely on browsers supporting
submission-with-(0,0), it is totally counterintuitive for users to
think "I can't use this map, so I'll submit it anyway".  Any alternative
solution must be presented *before* this point!

--
Nick Kew

<URL:http://valet.webthing.com/>