Re: background-image in CSS

Access Systems wrote:

> don't people with screen readers have a right to the "effect" you think is
> usefull for some people but not others.   Why the difference?  Do you
> think that visually impaired folks cannot get an "effect" or that they
> don't deserve that "effect"??????

Having seen the page in question, the actual background image is a
pattern of black and gray horizontal stripes, one pixel wide. The effect
it creates is to cause the text area -- which has a white background --
to pop out, focusing the reader's eyes. No description of the image will
have a similar effect for non-visual users, and, in fact, it is probably
unneccessary because a screen reader focuses the user's attention
similarly already.

I don't think that Ineke believes that non-visual users should be
deprived of anything. But this brings up an interesting question: how
does one convey the equivalent meaning to a non-visual user?

Charles F. Munat
Seattle, Washington