Re: forms problem

At 3:44 PM +0000 1/14/02, DPawson@rnib.org.uk wrote:
>We  are putting together an ecommerce web site, and want AA status.

What is the specific priority 2 checkpoint you're trying to address?

>On the ordering side, we have a form which requires filling.
>For any entry field we need to be able to offer help text.
>Base requirement is that forms screen remain 'available' as data is entered.
>Options considered.
>1. single help page, navigated to via links.
>E.g. one form page, one associated help page.
>Issues, end user getting lost, with inconsistant return path.
>2. Pop up help window.
>Issues. title text on a link (explaining that you will be taken to a new
>page),
>is not accessible without access technology scripting.
>the pop up window itself is doubtful, even if focus is taken to that window.
>Return paths may be confused with 'close this window' type operations.

Hmm.

Other options:

3.  Multiple help pages, one per form item, perhaps autogenerated
     by script (but static pages would work fine too).  These would
     help with the "return back to the right place" problems.

Example

form.html:

      <label>
        <a name="labelyourname">Your name:</a>
        <input type="text" name="yourname" id="yourname">
      </label>

4.  A form page, and an "annotated form" with the same fields
     but more wordy explanatory text.

5.  A "wizard" approach whereby scripts are written to help the
     user complete the form through explanations -- this could
     be combined with (3) so that the specific help page has
     a way to fill out the field with an appropriate value.

--Kynn

Forthcoming: Teach Yourself CSS in 24 Hours