RE: more CSS and tables

At 3:19 PM -0500 1/5/02, Joe Clark wrote:
>I'm all for CSS layouts. I'm also all for table layouts. I use both,
>actually. Someday, when I really figure out how to use CSS layouts
>and all the browser bugs are worked out (all-stylesheet layouts are
>ten times harder to get right cross-platform than tables), I'll
>convert en masse. We have not reached that day, and nagging at
>people to stop using tables for layout when CSS is so very difficult
>and buggy *and* when real-world adaptive technology handles tables
>just fine simply is not getting us anywhere.

>Joe and I agree 100% on this issue, I think. I agree with everything he
wrote here.

Kynn I remember having email discussions with you about this issue at some
stage and you rightly pointed out that it is good to look at what the "expert
sites" currently do to address these problems. I checked it out and indeed the
W3C site still uses layout tables.

I agree with you Charles and indeed Joe and Mike who have all acknowledged
that CSS for layout is ultimately what we need to be using. However, as Mike
points out we do need better tools for achieving the layout without relying on
coding. I personally am not bothered by using the coding but my colleagues in
the University I am employed by would not want to be bothered with coding.

Charles you also made the following point:
>For general layout, this means that CSS can provide column and block based
layouts for new browsers, that break down to fairly simple linear groups of
blocks in old browsers.

Can you direct us to a site as an exemplar of this?

Regards

Denise
Dr Denise L Wood
Lecturer: Professional Development (online teaching and learning)
University of South Australia
CE Campus, North Terrace, Adelaide SA 5000
Ph:    (61 8) 8302 2172 / (61 8) 8302 4472 (Tuesdays & Thursdays)
Fax:  (61 8) 8302 2363 / (61 8) 8302 4390
Mob: (0413 648 260)

Email:	Denise.Wood@unisa.edu.au
WWW:	http://www.unisanet.unisa.edu.au/staff/homepage.asp?Name=Denise.Wood