Re: CSS [Re: Minimal Browser Capabilities]

On Friday 28 December 2001 09:50, Harry Woodorw wrote:
|   All of this requires adjustments and changes which would be in my opinion
|   beyond the reasonably expected knowledge requirements of users.  Whilst I

Harry,

If you refer to changing DOCTYPE or layouting blocks vertically in CSS
(quoting my mail) - it is not related to end-user.
Changing DOCTYPE should be done either by web master when he creates web
page, or by Authoring Tools (software)

As about layouting blocks in CSS vertically: it was question to W3C CSS
Editors, and W3C CSS Working Group (WG), with cc: to www-style mailing list
(<www-style@w3.org>)
Both Web Developers and Developers of Web Browsers are very curious how to
overcome this shortcoming, but so far there is no solution for this.
CSS3 specification also doesn't offer answer to this question.

As Tina stated that she understands browser design internals, I think we both
understand what we are speaking about :-)
// end-users should not worry here, but any input is welcome!..

| do consider that a good knowledge of how to use the operating system of
| choice, the vendor provided accessibility tools, and general functions used
| in menus such as changing fonts and colours and using Find and documented
| accessibly in the help system should be  a requirement the need to change
| browser settings to suit different pages is unreasonable. Of course this is
| looking at the view that the important thing is the user and not the
| technology which is only the medium for the transfer of information.
|
|   Hmmmm....that will get some responses.
|
|   Harry Woodrow

|   |
|   |     Both Opera, Mozilla, NS 6 and IE 6 now use the DOCTYPE to determine
|   |     whether to render information in compatibility modes.
|
|   IE6 doesn't use DOCTYPE when it's HTML4 Transitional or Frameset
|   besides, MS IE tema doesn't claim to support XHTML
|
|   |   > One of major limitations is inability to position/center block
|   |   > element vertically, without doing some terrible hacks.
|   |

--

Vadim Plessky
http://kde2.newmail.ru  (English)