From: w3c-wai-ig-request@w3.org [mailto:w3c-wai-ig-request@w3.org]On
Behalf Of Vadim Plessky
Sent: Friday, 28 December 2001 7:21 PM
To: Tina Marie Holmboe; w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Subject: Re: CSS [Re: Minimal Browser Capabilities]

On Thursday 27 December 2001 23:23, Tina Marie Holmboe wrote:
|   On Thu, Dec 27, 2001 at 11:15:27PM +0000, Vadim Plessky wrote:
[...]
|   > Sidenote: make sure that you have HTML4 Strict DTD for all your HTML
|   > files. Otherwsie, IE6 will render your page in Quirk mode.
|
|     Both Opera, Mozilla, NS 6 and IE 6 now use the DOCTYPE to determine
|     whether to render information in compatibility modes.

IE6 doesn't use DOCTYPE when it's HTML4 Transitional or Frameset
besides, MS IE tema doesn't claim to support XHTML

|   > One of major limitations is inability to position/center block element
|   > vertically, without doing some terrible hacks.
|
|     Centering a block element vertically - especially on a continuous
media
|     type - doesn't make an awful lot of sense, IMnsHO.

And in my opinion, layouting engine without possibility to center blocks
vertically is terribly broken.

|   > |     No matter. I use Mozilla 0.9.6 for my everyday browser, and have
|   > | never regretted it.
|   >
|   > Probably you have very fast computer :-)
|
|     Pentium III 550 Mhz with 128 MB RAM.

But you still can have 10000 RPM or 7200 RPM hard disk.
I have 3500 RPM HDD, as it's quite common in many laptops.
--

Vadim Plessky
http://kde2.newmail.ru  (English)