Re: Minimal Browser Capabilities

On Wed, 26 Dec 2001, Kynn Bartlett wrote:

> At 6:27 PM -0500 12/26/01, Access Systems wrote:
> >   A disabled person in Central America, Central Africa, many parts of
> >Asia, even the South Pole have very limited access to the web and must get
> >as much as possible under very difficult situations.  We can not design
> >out persons who may not be able to get the latest or faster OS and memory
> >or computers or even phone lines.
>
> Right, and that's why those people should have access to a text-only
> browser that supports HTML 4.01, CSS, XHTML, XML, DOM, ECMAscript,
> SVG, and more.

but they don't and no one is running out to buy it for them. so what is
"desirable" and what exists is significantly different.  asking a person
in xxxx to go out and buy or even download a free browser that may or may
not work on the antique they run is not realistic.

> The solution isn't to say, "well, it's okay for those people to
> continue to have limited access to the web!" nor is it okay to say
> "we'll have to limit everyone else's access to the web!"  The solution
> is to say, "this is what a browser _should_ support," list those items,
> realize that it's NOT set in stone (unlike some people who believe that
> 1996's HTML is all we need!), and then encourage work on browsers to
> meet those targets.

even the most advanced website using all the bells and whistles avaliable
SHOULD be able to without user input, degrade to a very simple system
readable by the most archaic browser in use.
  and believe me, 1996 HTML is a dream to many users. some would consider
it an improvement to get a computer with enough memory to run Win 3.1!!!

  these people have a right to use the World Wide Web TOO!

saying "they should have" whatever doesn't get them "what they should
have" and/or a computer that will even be able to run what "they should
have"   personally consider a baseline, a computer without a hard drive
running on floppies and containing 640mb of RAM. Lynx will run on that
machine.  what else will??

Bob

    NO HTML/PDF/RTF in e-mail                   accessys@smartnospam.net
THIS message and any attachements are CONFIDENTIAL and may be
privledged.  They are intended ONLY for the individual or entity named
above. If you are not the intended recipient, Please notify the sender as
soon as possible. Please DO NOT READ, COPY, USE, or DISCLOSE this
communication to others and DELETE it from your computer systems.  Thanks