From: w3c-wai-ig-request@w3.org [mailto:w3c-wai-ig-request@w3.org]On
Behalf Of Vadim Plessky
Sent: Wednesday, December 26, 2001 2:12 PM
To: Michael Burks; WAI IG
Subject: empty white screen instead of NBCOlympics site [Re: Olympic Web
Sites]

On Tuesday 11 December 2001 15:17, Michael R. Burks wrote:
|   if you take a look now at
|
|   http://www.nbcolympics.com/x/f/frame.htm?u=/news/nbcomain_front.asp
|
|   and http://www.saltlake2002.com/x/f/frame.htm?u=/news/slocmain_front.asp
|
|   you will see a great similarity.  The presentation appears to be the
| same, but he content is not identical.
|
|   There is some improvement.  They have added alt tags.  However there are
|   still many that are missing. 37 on the home page to be exact.

Hello Michael!

What kind of browser do you use?
I launched
http://www.nbcolympics.com/,
everything was rendered fine.
than I was redirected to:
http://www.nbcolympics.com/x/f/frame.htm?u=/news/nbcomain_front.asp
which showed me ... empty white screen.
                                   ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
And there is no surprise with that, as this URL has following *source*:
- - - - - - -
<head>
	<title>Olympics</title>
</head>
<script language=javascript src=/x/inc/get_guid.asp></script>
<script language=javascript src=/x/js/xtd_funct.js></script>
<script language=javascript src=/x/js/stdframe.js></script>
- - - - - - -

This code explains why you (or in this case, me) see nothing.
//  I saved all three files to hard disk for further analysis

If you have JavaScript disabled, you should get
"Javascript must be enabled to view this site"
But, they made an error in their code!
and they even do not open <body>!

So there is no wonder that my standards-compilant browser rejects to display
this crap!...
Anyone with Lynx: can you try those URLs?
Can you get through?

|   However now dropdown menus are being used with JavaScript and I do not
| see equivalent links provided.  These links are not provided on either the
| originating page, nor on the destination page.  So if you cannot read the
| drop down links, you will not be able to use the site effectively.  And
| yes, it appears it is going to be used for the Para Olympics.  But I
cannot
| confirm that.

Now, I need to reboot to Windows from Linux and test this site with MS IE.
Have no further comments until it's done.

|   There is also a great deal of scripting being done, so it has to be
| analyzed by hand.  None of the automated tools I used gave me a very good

yes...

| analysis. As nearly as I can tell the frames do not have title tags and
| there are a number of other serious errors. I managed to make a static
| page, and got between 60 and 70 Section 508 errors.  A lot of these are
| what appear to be spacer images without alt tags, but there are some
| others.  TI did not see title tags on the Frames.

believe me, their code is crap!
You don't need special automated tools to understand that.

|   However, there is improvement, that is something.

Really?
Oh, yes. I have saved copy of nbcolympics.com site from Sydney 2000
(if anyone is interested, I can put it on ftp somewhere, zipped)
At least that copy was working.
Now it seems they have broken their site even further.  :-((

|   It should be noted, that is reported that the Olympic has cost 2 billion
|   American Dollars in Salt Lake City.  Between 300 and 400 million of that
| is coming from the American Taxpayer.  I think the Salt Lake folks can do
| lot better.

Ah, can I get small amount from this money for redesigning their site? :-))

--

Vadim Plessky
http://kde2.newmail.ru  (English)