Re: Disability statistics

I don't think this is necessarily the case. I know of at least a couple of
enigneers at companies who took up accessibility when they had learned about
it 'because it was an interesting technical challenge', independently of the
marketing that came from their companies (which they tended to ignore).

I also know of at least one company which was only prepared to take on
accessibility if somebody showed them a market, and who found one and took it
on.

I'm sure these are not isolated examples. I agree that the big factors will
be a moral decision, a technical decision, or one based on legal sticks. But
I still believe it is important that we can accurately point out that there
are carrots, and where they can be found. Then we can leave it to the wonders
of competition to have the developers get there faster.

cheers

Charles

On Sun, 16 Dec 2001 Demonpenta2@aol.com wrote:

  In a message dated 12/16/01 3:29:43 AM Eastern Standard Time,
  Denise_Wood@operamail.com writes:

  > The ultimate "ace up the sleeve" is to cite the legal requirements - but we
  > should still aim to educate as best we can even if we still have to fall
  > back
  > on the legal case to reinforce our position.

         I admit to being a pessimist, but I think that education, while giving
  US the feeling of doing something good, may be wasted w/ regards to many
  commercial entities. More often, I think, a club would be far more
  productive, and have a far more lasting effect. Whether that club be legal or
  otherwise is up to the applicator.

         John