Re: Disability statistics

At 3:25 AM -0500 12/16/01, Demonpenta2@aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 12/16/01 3:09:59 AM Eastern Standard Time,
>kynn-edapta@idyllmtn.com writes:
>>I still believe that the only _real_ argument for web accessibility is
>>because "it's right" -- be that for moral, religious, ethical, fairness,
>justice, perfectionist, or legal reasons.
>
>        If that's the case, then it's a lost cause, especially in the
>current economy. What's right and what's profitable are 99% of the
>time contradictory. As has been demonstrated throughout history,
>businesses will only do what's right if it is PROFITABLE.

Which is why traditionally -- offline and online -- the only way to
make companies do
something if they haven't already decided to do it for PR or moral
reasons is to make
it not profitable due to regulation.

It's not profitable to be accessible, really.  The markets aren't
necessarily worth
reaching, at least not currently.  The better arguments are "you'll
look like big jerks"
or "your CEO won't be able to sleep at night". Those are 100% more
effective than
"you'll make lots of cash by selling to disabled folks."

--Kynn