Re: Disability statistics

In a message dated 12/16/01 3:09:59 AM Eastern Standard Time,
kynn-edapta@idyllmtn.com writes:

> I still believe that the only _real_ argument for web accessibility is
> because "it's right" -- be that for moral, religious, ethical, fairness,
> justice, perfectionist, or legal reasons.

       If that's the case, then it's a lost cause, especially in the current
economy. What's right and what's profitable are 99% of the time
contradictory. As has been demonstrated throughout history, businesses will
only do what's right if it is PROFITABLE. And, really, except for companies
whose main market is the disabled, accessibility in their internet presence
is a gigantic expense that provides zero profit at either the short, medium,
or long term.

       And, about the elderly and disabilities: That would be valid except
for the fact that most of the elderly with disabilities refuse to admit it
and seek help (in my experience, anyway), so do not use the AT needed in many
cases to utilize accessible web design...and those that do recieve help are
often forced to recieve it by families or others, or the person in question
is also afflicted with conditions that make use of the internet impossible in
any real way. (Think Alzheimer's and the like.)

       John