Re: How to Complain to a Webmaster

"Kynn Bartlett":
> At 11:00 AM 10/31/2001 , Jim Ley wrote:
> >Your post on how to make a complaint, clearly said you should complain
> >solely to the author, nowhere did you mention educating the person who
> >commissioned the site, of course I know you beleive educating everyone
is
> >important, but you said then (and repeated it in the post I'm replying
> >to.) that you should start by complaining to the site developer - how
> >does that educate the commisioner?
>
> Because the title of the post was "how to complain to a webmaster."

Yes, but the actual text didn't make that distinction, indeed, it was
prefaced by:

"... general guidelines about how to write an initial web accessibility
complaint."

Nothing about to a developer (it's presumably your own interpretation
that a webmaster is always the technical developer, and never the
commissioning agent.)

> You complain completely differently to a site policymaker -- for
> example, it's not as important to give technical solutions.
>
> Also, you typically send it in postal mail, not email!

What?  Amoungst so much of the business world that I see, email is used,
postal mail positively discouraged by a lot of the policy makers I see
because it is so much less convenient, if you spend your life travelling
between your US, EMEA and Asian headquarters, mail is a real
inconvenience.  Why do you feel post is the appropriate format?

> These and other tips may be coming soon if I have enough time to
> write "how to complain to site operators."  You may feel free to
> take the initiative to write up your own version, because if it's
> good enough, that will save me plenty of time and energy.

I don't have the experience or ability, that doesn't disqualify from
pointing out flaws or making suggestions in those that are done, in any
case I don't believe you should have two disjoint complaints, a single
strategy is IMO much better.

Jim.