Re: Text unavailable to sighted users but available to screen reader users

It also depends on how the screen reader gets its content - readers that are
too smart about colours (a useful feature) will realise that the text is
invisible and skip it. (given the way this is normally used to stuff keywords
in pages, it is not a bad practice).

Charles McCN

On Wed, 7 Mar 2001, David Woolley wrote:

  > Would it be acceptable to provide a warning message,
  > something like 'Submitting this form may result in a
  > pop-up dialog being displayed' before the submit
  > button, in the same color as the background?
  > Thus (I believe) making the text available to screen
  > reader users but not to sighted users?

  This will show up on any device that cannot display colours or
  doesn't understand the styling used to set the colours.  It is
  a known trick for stuffing keywords for search engines and may
  result in the site being boycotted by major search engines.

  One is expecting a major change in content when one submits a
  form, so one of the main reasons for avoiding popups doesn't apply.