Re: Section 508 Question on Javascript - Section 1194.22, Paragraph (l)

Just a note about the javascript menus which you mentioned (www.nsf.gov).

There are many sites which use similar javascripts. One of the main reasons
that these are inaccessible to screen readers and those who do not use a
mouse is that the menus only come down when the "onMouseOver" event is
triggered.

The menus are completely invisible and unusable to someone who tabs to the
links. The only way to get around this would be to provide triggers that
work with both a keyboard event and a mouse event.

A similar discussion on this same topic was held several months ago. From
what I remember, the basic conclusion was that currently there are innate
deficiencies in the javascript language that do not permit keyboard input
with the same sort of efficiency or reliability as with mouse input.
Following this, a lengthy, circuitous, philosophical debate ensued regarding
the equivalency of the "onMouseOver" concept and the "onFocus" trigger.

The basic concept is simple: javascript should not be written to require
mouse input--it should also accomodate keyboard input. The reality of the
matter, however, has not turned out to be as simple, because--as was
mentioned in the past debates on this topic--there are good reasons to
differentiate between mouse events and keyboard events with regard to the
"focus."

As far as I can tell, javascript is still not mature enough of a language to
accomodate non-mouse users very well. The capabilities of the langauge are
just too limited.

My own personal, less-than-ideal conclusion: Until javascript matures, go
ahead and use the onMouseOver menus as long as the same menu structure is
available in a redundant text format.

Another possible solution: Maybe it would be possible for screen readers
(e.g. Jaws, Home Page Reader) to develop somewhat "intelligent" algorithms
that decipher the javascript in such a way that the screen reader reads the
textual contents of onMouseOver events, despite the fact that the command is
never actually triggered by a mouse. The screen reader could interpret a
"tab-to" as a "onMouseOver" if it wants to. Actually, this seems do-able to
me. What do you think, Jim, or others?

Paul Bohman
Technology Coordinator
Web Accessibility in Mind (www.webaim.org)