RE: Section 508 Question on Javascript - Section 1194.22, Paragraph (l)

I too have been trying [1] to find examples of inaccessible JavaScript - I
would like to know about things JavaScript writers should NOT do.

The author of the JavaScript menus on www.NSF.gov has told me he considers
those to be inaccessible. Indeed they appear as non-links for HPR and for
JFW. But because there is equivalent facilitation, including a text only
site, this is not an accessibility issue; in fact the site works fine with
JavaScript turned off or inadequate as in Netscape 4.x (they want their site
to meet WCAG 6.3).

What we need is a catalog of JavaScript techniques that are NOT accessible
(or yield inaccessible sites) as well as those that are. These would be more
like programming strategies than the techniques we usually talk about for
static HTML.

I proposed one in [1], "don't use onChange in select menus,"  but since then
Doug Wakefield pointed out to me that if you use keyboard access
'correctly,' starting with Alt+Down Arrow, in a select menu (combo box) then
onChange is not a problem!

Here is another proposal.

** JavaScript menus do not meet the accessibility criteria of Section 508.
Even if the links are available to (some) assistive technology (as at
www.microsoft.com) the structure of the menus is lost. If you use JavaScript
dropdown menus to facilitate navigation, be sure that the corresponding
links are immediately available to those who cannot access those menus, like
in the navigation panel of the target of the each main menu item.

You see, this is a modified WCAG idea; I want it to say that as far as the
JavaScript menus are concerned, your site has to work well with JavaScript
turned off. It does not say that your whole site has to work with JavaScript
turned off.

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ig/2001JanMar/0051.html

Jim
jim@jimthatcher.com