RE: Simplicity of Authoring and Accessibility Tools

At 1:57 AM -0800 1/19/01, Charles F. Munat wrote:
>Then again, I've never been in any
>organization where one could post content without having it approved by
>someone in management, so I can guess that most of it (at least on corporate
>sites) is already being checked for content problems. Why not check it for
>accessibility at the same time?

I've been in a situation such as that, when I worked at Claremont
Graduate University and Harvey Mudd College.  In addition to the
sheer logistics (no way that one person, with barely those resources
allocated -- I was first dedicated "webmaster" at both places) of
the problem, there's an additional issue, and that's "academic
freedom".  The professors didn't even like it when they were told
to link back to the main college web site, let alone when I suggested
that their sites have to be valid, accessible, and usable.

It's really hard for a techie to make demands on tenured professors,
you see. :)  (And, yes, it would be nice to have the pressure coming
from the top, but that kind of political dealing -- "force the
tenured professors to do this extra work because the new web guy
says they have to" -- is .much. easier said than done.)

--Kynn
--
Kynn Bartlett <kynn@idyllmtn.com>
http://www.kynn.com/