RE: Accessible _By_

Hi folks,

I also agree that relating the problems of accessibility to the needs of
real people is a good thing. While I believe that validators like Bobby, or
tools like A-prompt are useful and there is no doubt that they contribute to
an overall improvement in accessibility, it would be great if there was a
tool which could simulate the user experience caused by accessibility
problems.

Developers and designers are a key audience and the tools that exist at the
moment are pitched at this audience in so far as they show someone how to
fix or avoid accessibility problems at a HTML level. However, before a
designer can effectively solve a usability problem, they have to have some
insight into what the problem feels like from a user's point of view.

The same applies for "influencers", or people who run and commission web
projects.  These people are the ones who provide direction and make
accessibility, or usability a priority for design teams. They know nothing
about HTML and are not usually interested in learning.

To my knowledge, there is no "tool" which can emulate the user experience
and ground the problem in terms that people can understand and relate to but
I could be wrong. Does anyone know of such a thing?

Anthony