Re: Politics: Graphic Designers are Allies, not Egotistical Enemies

Hi

My default browser is Netscape 4 (Mozilla/4.76 [en] (X11; U; Linux
2.2.16-3 i686; Nav)), the only things I have changed from the default
settings are:

1. default font was Times 12pt it's now Lucida 18pt
2. default proportional font was Courier 12pt it's now 18pt
3. default background colour was white it's now grey

The font face and sizes are changed because almost all sites are totally
unreadable otherwise, the background colour is changed because it's what
I'm used to (old expectations die hard!).

On Sun 17-Dec-2000 at 10:23:06 -0800, Kynn Bartlett wrote:
> (snip) ...but if a major web site were coded without any sort of
> styling whatsoever -- if everything were on a gray background with
> black Times New Roman, blue/purple links, etc. (the equivalent of
> XHTML 1.0 Strict with no stylesheet) -- then that site would quickly
> become NOT a major web site.

I guess we can all agree that Yahoo is a major web site.

What do I get on the Yahoo front page?

Grey background, my browser default.

Blue links.

Large, very readable Lucida text everywhere apart from the top level
category names, which are in courier.

I investigate further and it's because they have used <font
face="arial">, I don't have arial so NN defaults to the fixed font (who
knows why), it's ugly but readable.

This isn't a new style for Yahoo, they have got big with it.

Chris

--
Chris Croome <chris@webarchitects.co.uk>
work: http://www.webarchitects.co.uk/