RE: Off Topic -- Hard hyphen?

Of course the non-breaking hyphen is the correct thing to use.
For quotes, never use “ and ”, this is not correct
HTML at all. The numbers in &#...; constructs refer to Unicode,
and Unicode does not have any characters at these positions.
Please see http://www.w3.org/TR/html40/sgml/entities.html#h-24.4.1
and use any of:

<!ENTITY lsquo   CDATA "&#8216;" -- left single quotation mark,
                                                U+2018 ISOnum -->
<!ENTITY rsquo   CDATA "&#8217;" -- right single quotation mark,
                                                U+2019 ISOnum -->
<!ENTITY sbquo   CDATA "&#8218;" -- single low-9 quotation mark, U+201A NEW -->
<!ENTITY ldquo   CDATA "&#8220;" -- left double quotation mark,
                                                U+201C ISOnum -->
<!ENTITY rdquo   CDATA "&#8221;" -- right double quotation mark,
                                                U+201D ISOnum -->

As for 'implied', the comment in
http://www.w3.org/TR/html40/sgml/entities.html#h-24.3.1
just is a note pointing out the assumption of the authors
of the HTML spec that this was the same as an entity in
some ISO standard with a different name, and that this
assumption was supported by some other ISO document.
Neither are the characters missing from Unicode/iso10646,
and they are even available as *named* character entities
in HTML 4.0.

In case somebody really has a new character to propose
(which I don't think will happen very frequently),
please have a look at
http://www.unicode.org/pending/proposals.html.

Regards,   Martin.

At 11:33 1999/12/13 -0800, McDonald, Ira wrote:
> Hi Al and Bruce,
>
> In Unicode 2.0 (1996), in Chapter 7 'Code Charts', on page 7-155
> 'General punctuation', the following character is defined:
>
> U+2011  NON-BREAKING HYPHEN
>         (cross reference) U+002D - HYPHEN-MINUS
>
> I believe this is what you're looking for.  I've copied Martin
> Duerst (W3C Internationalization leader) to verify.
>
> Cheers,
> - Ira McDonald (outside consultant at Sharp Labs America)
>   High North Inc

#-#-#  Martin J. Du"rst, World Wide Web Consortium
#-#-#  mailto:duerst@w3.org   http://www.w3.org