RE: Stylesheet columnisation

At 07:56 AM 11/5/99 -0500, Steven McCaffrey wrote:

>Len:
>With respect, I have to disagree on the emphasis.
>If the emphasis is indeed somewhat ambiguous (or at least mildly
confusing), the WCAG should be modified to make things more clear.
>I used square brackets to emphasize what I think should be the emphasis.
>Also, I see the guidelines concerning tables for layout and the use of a
text-only version as closely related.
>It is my experience that increasingly, the one remaining reason why a web
page designer has to resort to a text only version is precisely because
tables are being used for layout when there is no good reason (in my
opinion) for doing so.

Would you be willing to nominate up to three examples of this experience
for us to consider?  The use of context-setting sidebars is very
widespread.  Maybe there is a good reason for some or many of these layout
choices?

Al

>-Steve
>

>"
>Guideline 3. Use markup and style sheets and do so properly.
>  Mark up documents with the proper structural elements. [Control
presentation with style sheets rather than with presentation elements and
attributes.]
>Using markup improperly -- not according to specification -- hinders
>accessibility. [Misusing markup for a presentation effect (e.g., using a
table for layout] or a header to change the font size) makes it difficult
for users with specialized software to understand the organization of the
page or to navigate through it. Furthermore, using presentation markup
rather than structural markup to convey structure (e.g., constructing what
looks like a table of data with an HTML PRE element) makes it difficult to
render a page
>intelligibly to other devices (refer to the description of[ difference
between content, structure, and presentation]).
>Content developers may be tempted to use (or misuse) constructs that
achieve a desired formatting effect on older browsers. They must be aware
that these
>practices cause accessibility problems [and must consider whether the
formatting effect is so critical as to warrant making the document
inaccessible to some users.]
>At the other extreme, content developers must not sacrifice appropriate
markup because a certain browser or assistive technology does not process
it correctly.  For example, it is appropriate to use the TABLE element in
HTML to mark up tabular information even though some older screen readers
may not handle side-by-side text correctly (refer to checkpoint 10.3).
Using TABLE correctly and creating tables that transform gracefully (refer
to guideline 5) makes it possible for software to render tables other than
as two-dimensional grids.

>Guideline 5. Create tables that transform gracefully.
>  Ensure that tables have necessary markup to be transformed by accessible
browsers and other user agents.
>[Tables should be used to mark up truly tabular information ("data tables").
>Content developers should avoid using them to lay out pages ("layout
tables").]

>Tables for [any use] also present special problems to users of screen
readers(refer to checkpoint 10.3).
>Some user agents allow users to navigate among table cells and access
header and other table cell information. Unless marked-up properly, these
tables will not provide user agents with the appropriate information.
(Refer also to guideline

>3.)
>The following checkpoints will directly benefit people who access a table
[through auditory means (e.g., a screen reader or an automobile-based
personal computer) or who view only a portion of the page at a time (e.g.,
users with
>blindness or low vision using speech output or a braille display, or other
users of devices with small displays, etc.).]..."