Re: How to describe Flowcharts, Schematics, etc

jonathan wrote:

> What is the nature of information gained by the eyes when viewing a chart
> diagram?
>
> If you are seeking one simple answer that works for all problems, probably
> this is a little tenuous to be a thread.

When I'm reading for vi customers, I've been taught
to provide an overview of the diagram
(I use the technique of glancing at it for a very few
seconds then selecting the items that 'stood out')
followed by a description which permits a sequential
description of 'pathways' through the diagram.

Using this technique on, specifically, flowcharts, with,
say the following symbols:
start box
rectangle
diamond decision box
off page connector in / out
end box
(enough to start)

Try:
<diagram>
<overview> Brief overview as described above.</overview>
<page>
<start-box id="b00" >
  <contents>start
  </contents>
</start-box>
<rect id="b01" idref="b02">
  <contents>Process afferent stream</contents>
</rect>
<rect id="b02" idref="b03">
  <contents>Process efferent stream</contents>
</rect>
<diamond id="b03" idref="b04"  idref="b05"> <!-- Assumes y/n -->
  <contents>contains selected item?</contents>
</diamond>
<rect id="b04" idref="b06">
  <contents>output Yes</contents>
</rect>

<rect id="b05" idref="b06">
  <contents>output No</contents>
</rect>

<end-box id="b06">
  <contents>finish</contents>
</end-box>

</page>

</diagram>

Does that appear workable
for some purposes?
Easy to transform.
Easy to generate with a syntax directed editor.
Could even be turned into graphics if needed.
DaveP