Re: QED & Marshall McLuhan

At 08:14 PM 6/10/1999 -0400, Ann Navarro wrote:
>Until the *how* is demonstrated, the reaction you're going to get from web
>developers is "gee, that's well intentioned, but naive/unreasonable". The
>reality for this example may be the same as that initial reaction.
>
>Note that this exercise doesn't even begin to address the issue of why a
>child needs to understand occurance indicators within element declarations
>in an XML DTD, or why a technical discussion is obligated to make such
>information "understandable" by anyone who may come across it.

As I've said in my past posts, I am not the person who wants ALL pages
changed, but I do want to see guidelines for accessibility outline the ways
that pages with important information useful to persons with cognitive
disabilities developed. As Kelly said in his last post, it isn't necessary
to make a web page with a flight simulator accessible to the blind because
they are unlikely to ever be able to fly a plane anyway. Putting alt tags
on such a page would be a waste of a very small amount of time because they
would probably never be used anway.

As to children using the information in your book, I suspect there will be
some who would want to do so. If your book isn't written so they can use
it, they won't buy it (or return it if they do). I think it's sad that kids
can access web sites that tell them how to bomb their school, but aren't
welcomed on sites with information useful to them in their schooling and
out-of-school activities. But that is all an aside to the issue I'm trying
to promote in this thread.

				Anne

Anne L. Pemberton
http://www.pen.k12.va.us/Pav/Academy1