Re: QED & Marshall McLuhan

Dear Jonathan,

I respect what your are trying to do at http://www.pepo.com/ and I think
better computer access for non-readers is an important field.  I don't
think you should expect much more out of the WAI in this area though!

For what it is worth, Bill Gates (and others) are hard at work at this
because, after all, if you make computers easier for persons with cognitive
disabilities to use, you make computers easier for everyone to use, and
then you get to sell more computers!  Windows is hard to use (that is, it
requires literacy) because the best minds have not been able to figured out
how to make it otherwise!

It seems to me that you seem to arguing against the written language!
Picture-based alphabets have been tried (hieroglyphics) and are still in
use (Chinese characters).  Is the meaning of sentences in these languages
any more intuitive or transparent to the non-reader?  I think not!

If you are really interested in seeing how far you can go with a
picture-based approach, you should IMHO, whole-heartedly adopt one of the
available icon-based languages.  Some available places to start:

Bliss Symbols Home Page from Blissymbolics Communication International:
http://home.istar.ca/~bci/

MinSpeak Frequently Asked Questions from Symantic Compaction System (sadly,
no picture examples):
http://www.lti.cs.cmu.edu/scs/faq.html

What are the Picture Communication Symbols (PCS)? from Mayer Johnson:
http://www.mayer-johnson.com/PICTSYMB/Aboutpcs.htm

You may also be interested in this "Universal Picture Language" which is
much newer than any of the above, but perhaps closer to what your are
looking for:
http://www.picturelanguage.com/

I can't vouch for that the last reference, but Bliss, MinSpeak, and PCS
have all been used for effective communication by non-reader FOR YEARS.  If
anyone wants more Bliss, MinSpeak, or PCS links, let me know off the list.

Sincerely,

Bruce Bailey, DORS Webmaster
http://www.dors.state.md.us/
410/554-9211