RE: FORM, text input, Enter and Submit...

I am afraid there are UI consistency problems between "standard Windows
Dialog conventions" and web forms.

In Windows (and Mac), the default action/button is made clear to the user by
a dark, thick button border. In web forms, the default is the submit.  From
a UI consistency point of view, this should be addressed.  In a self-voicing
browser like ours, we can optionally announce the fact that the submit
button is the default. Is it important or desirable to add an attribute to
the button to indicate which is Default? This allows something other than
the Submit to be the default, and allows the UA to decide how to render it.

Accesskeys (keyboard short-cuts) exhibit another problem.  In windows
dialogs, the accesskey is shown in dialog labels and buttons as an
underscore, and in dialog editors, the accesskey is defined in context using
the & character (example:  &Send   E&xit). This is not possible in HTML and
requires some extra work to get the same visible effect. This makes me
wonder about the design of the accesskey attribute, and whether there is not
a better solution.

And in our browser we have the problem of the potential conflict between
browser built-in shortcut keys and those defined on the form. We allow
complete user keyboard re-mapping of all browser functions and face the
question, which takes precedence? IE appears to give precedence to the
form's accesskey, which has the side effect of disabling previously
accessible browser functions. Is this desirable for the user? We don't think
so, and at this point we are not going to enable accesskey support in our
code.

Mark