Stretching the Analogy

At 09:22 p.m. 05/25/98 -0400, Liam Quinn wrote:
>At 09:06 PM 25/05/98 -0400, Kasday, Leonard R (Len), ALTEC wrote:
>LRK::
>>	By the way, just to reveal a personal preferance, I prefer to watch
>>non-English films with subtitles instead of films which dub into English to
>>attempt a seamless presentation.    It particularly annoys me to discover a
>>film is dubbed without being told.

>LQ::  It seems like you're saying that Web pages presented in non-visual
>environments have been dubbed and that the natural medium for Web pages is
>visual.  I'll assume that I'm misinterpreting your analogy.

>There is no dubbing required for presenting a Web page seamlessly in
>non-visual environments.  The point of seamless accessibility is that the
>page adjusts naturally to all browsing environments.  The non-English film
>dubbed into English is not seamless.

Ideally, all movies would come on laserdisc, with optional
subtitles for several languages that can be turned on by the
user, and alternate versions available dubbed into a similar
variety of languages. :)  So the user can select whatever
they want.

That's how _I_ see the web working, with regard to seamless
accessibility.

--
Kynn Bartlett <kynn@hwg.org>
Vice President, Marketing and Outreach, HTML Writers Guild