Re: Using htlm editors to produce clean code?

At 01:50 PM 05/13/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Has anybody had success using Microsoft FrontPage or Navigator Gold to
>generate html code that parses through Bobby or the W3C Validator without
>errors?
>
>I am confortable with html and text editors, but I need to find tools that
>our secretaries can use without learning html.

Bruce,

I am using Hot Metal Pro 4 it's a great html editor (get the demo at
http:/www.softquad.com)that generates clean code, and has accessibility
checkers built in to the program.  It has a WYSIWYG setting for simple text
editing (great for secretaries or non-html types). A tags setting for fast
editing of images and tables etc. and a source code setting to do complex
html. It doesn't use nsbp, although if you import or cut and paste a
document with that tag it will keep it. It also auto corrects any document
to it's standards when opening an html file by using a "wizard".

The ONLY draw back I've found with the program is it won't go through the
W3C validator unless I go into source code mode and remove the comment at
the start of the file that has the HotMetalPro name in it, and replace it
with a generic one.  But, the pages sail through Bobby with no problem,
unless I've put in somenting that the internal checker told me not to.

If you try it and have problems drop me a note and I'll try to talk you
through them, although I did ok using the help files and built in tutorials.

***Warning: There have been problems with the "Free add on" programs that
were bundled with the cd rom version of this program overwriting .dll files
and causing _major_ problems with Correl and MS Office programs. Check on
their site for the latest version to prevent this from hapening to you.  (I
had to run patches, and reload Word.) The retail cd's are not always the
most recent version. When in doubt, custom install only the HM Pro editor
(it doesn't have problems) then check the version at their site.

Kathleen Fagan-Raeihle
Accessible Website Design
aka webmaster@ilusa.com
http://www.ilusa.com/accessweb.htm