RE: Discussion list guidelines

yes, you can have a rule like enter enter=paragraph.  you can have a rule
like: enterenter>=quoted paragraph.
Mail programs have a find or search or where is capability which can be
used although not necessarily cleanly to find :: or what ever you want
them to find.  I mark up text this way.  When I'm reading something that
is long, I type a string of chars in the place I left off so that I can
find it again.  I usually use a string of question marks then search for
them when I'm ready to resume reading.

 On Thu, 4 Dec 1997, Kasday,
Leonard wrote:

> David Wrote:
>
> 	> if you want to do something such as Only speaking the >
> greather than at
> 	> the beginning of a paragraph, that can be easily done in the
> dictionary of
> 	> most screen readers.
>
> 	LRK:: Can you also set the screen reader to alert you when a
> paragraph begins that does not have a greater than sign?  If so, we
> could have the following alternative to writing initials followed by
> double colon:
>
> 	1. quote old text with greater than before each line
> 	2. Be sure you put a blank line before and after each new
> comment you make. Note that this also helps sighted readers.
>
> 	(Actually, you don't have to put a greater than before each
> line; it's sufficient to put it just at the start of the paragraph; but
> that might confuse sighted readers.)
>
> 	If people with screen readers then set them to flag paragraphs
> that do or do not start with greater than's, they will know which is old
> and which is new.
>
> 	This still doesn't allow person with screen reader to skip to
> comments.  However, if we can overcome this problem with the further
> requirement to
>
> 	3. Only retain and quote what is needed to understand the
> comment you are making, assuming the reader already read the original
> mail.  Attach original mail with no further comments at end if you wish,
> but identifying it as such..
>
> 	These guidelines help both sighted and blind discussants. The
> one problem is that if you leave out a blank line, your comment is lost
> to screen readers.  But it will be lost to some sighted readers as well
> anyway because sighted folks scanning the page can easily miss it.
>
> 	Len

Hands-On-Technolog(eye)s
touching the internet
voice: 1-(301) 949-7599