XML accessibility

From: Daniel Dardailler <danield@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 1997 11:09:45 +0100
To: WAI HC Working Group <w3c-wai-hc@w3.org>

While I'm on this topic, I have another concern wrt XML access that I
want to write down shortly.

Supposedly, XML user-agents might not need access to the document DTD
to process it: it's ok if the document is well formed and that a style
sheet is available (using an inclusion clause of some kind).

My issue is related to the use of client-side style sheet, which I
think is crucial for accessibility.

How does a user-agent bind an arbitrary XML document to an independant
style sheet without knowledge of the DTD ?

We must make sure that at least the DTD name (as a unique ID of some
kind) appear in every XML documents, so that client-side binding to a
local "more accessible" style is always possible.

It's unclear to me reading the XML spec that this is the case in the
definition of what "well formed" or "valid" means.