RE: SELECT/ OPTION GROUPS with the SIZE attribute (fwd)

On Tue, 28 Oct 1997, Scott Isaacs wrote:

> I guess I am trying to avoid hierarchy and therefore sub-groups.
> I want hierarchy, but the current proposal fails to address many
> of the issues with hierarchy.

I believe you are referring to rendering issues only. Can you
confirm this?  I would very much appreciate any evidence as to
how the proposal is inadequate on grounds unrelated to rendering.

> I also disagree with the suggested rendering as it only addresses
> single select lists (unless I missed something).  I still do not
> know how to handle multi-select hierarchical lists, or lists with
> an undefined size.

I don't feel its appropriate for the HTML spec to make detailed
proposals for rendering. The example in the latest draft was only
intended to show the hierarchy and not intended as a suggested
rendering. In any case the HTML working group resolved not to add
new rendering attributes. There are many ways to present multiple
selection hierarchies, for instance with a hierarchical menu where
the currently selected choices are indicated by check marks, or by
a tree-view control that allows levels of detail to be expanded and
collapsed. If we want to give authors control over this I suggest
we start discussing extensions to CSS.

> Instead of recommending syntax changes to listboxes, why not add
> text to HTML 4.0 with guidelines on how to properly use lists to
> make them more accessible. This recommendation can also apply to
> radio button groups and check box groups (they are no different
> than a list box in providing a list of options to the user).

I will do my best to make the spec clearer on the accessibility
issues arising from long lists.

Regards,

phone: +44 122 578 2984 (or 2521) +44 385 320 444 (gsm mobile)