Re: Alert: accessibility and HTML Q element

From: Jason White <jasonw@ariel.ucs.unimelb.EDU.AU>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 12:59:05 +1100 (AEDT)
To: WAI HC Working Group <w3c-wai-hc@w3.org>
On Tue, 28 Oct 1997, Al Gilman wrote:

> If you are using styles, the styles would recognize a SPAN with a
> CLASS indicating quotation, would they?

Thank you for reminding me of this possibility. Unfortunately, most HTML
authors and style sheet creators would probably not think of it either,
unless of course it were documented in WAI markup guidelines. In any case,
I still prefer the Q element, which is specifically intended to represent
quotations and is included as part of HTML itself. It would be best for
accessibility if Q were used widely.