SCOPE takes element type ... or ID?

From: Al Gilman <asgilman@access.digex.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 14:19:13 -0400 (EDT)
To: dsr@w3.org (Dave Raggett)
Cc: w3c-wai-hc@w3.org (HC team)

I have to admit I had been wondering about a variation on SCOPE
which would take an ID [or IDs?] as its value.  This would let it
refer to a column group it doesn't fall within (as in the case of
diagonally placed headers) or specify an outer column group when
it falls within a nest thereof.  I think that this lets it
identify anything that it can now, designating container element
types.

-- Al